MARCH 10

1939 11:50 Friday Eleanor + I went to a show tonight. Today I felt much more suicidal than ordinary... I've got to get over this nonsense pretty quick!
1940 Sunday 11:45 - Leonard took me to Grapes of Wrath tonight - I wonder if he has "figured me out yet"... I certainly can't him - It was very different from the other date I had with him... Howard also wanted to do something tonight. Peggy's father died.
1941 I CAN ALWAYS BEAR ALMOST ANYTHING (CASTING THE MELODRAMA) WHEN A DAY IS LIKE THIS ONE... SUNSHINE... WIND... COOL; BUT DEFINITELY SPRING! - TONIGHT IS FULL MOON - CLEAR SKY... BRIGHT STARS - ALL'S FAIR WILL BE FAIRLY DECENT, I THINK; BUT I DON'T KNOW ABOUT LITTLE NELL! - OH HELL... I'M ETERNALLY AMAZED ABOUT HOW I MANAGE TO TEACH WITH NO PREP.
1942 Tues Gee, what a day! - Our party went off sooper - daffodils, etchings It all in spite of the fact that my frosting was a flop... Of course, it rained a little, too. Those sweet kids (D.J., Bob, Wilber + Peg) helped w/ dishes. Went roller skating tonight - And danced afterwards! tsk tsk
1943 1:00 WELL, I HAVE A DATE TOMORROW WITH A CERTAIN MR. HARRY Conover... MAY BE NOTHING WILL PAN OUT; BUT IT IS ALL AN experience, ANYHOW. ALL I DID WAS WAIT WITH COW-LIKE PATIENCE IN OFFICES ALL DAY - MR. COOPER WAS NICE TO ME. I SAW TED. GOT A LETTER FROM Leonard - ANOTHER VERSE from HERMAN