JULY 23

1939 I suppose R. will go without saying “good-bye” – I would give anything to tell him straight how things stand. That I’m grateful for  a very swell spring. But that I can’t understand his attitude the past week.

1940 Tues Hunk took me to the dance – I guess I’m getting old, but I was tired – even if it was cool – nice after a storm. About 8:00 – We found the Packard isn’t as dependable as he thought.

1941 Just ate a piece of apple pie Mike brought me… wept through the rehearsal of Cradle Song because I wanted so badly to be in it. I have 2 lines in Too Many Girls – I really wish it were something better… Well, I’ve learned not to “hide my light’ at any rate.

1942 THURS ?

1943 FRI OH LA, WE WENT TO THE BEACH! [ I JUST hope MRS. STOTE DIDN’T CALL!] IT WAS GORGEOUS… BLUE SKY + WHITE SAND. + THE WAVES BREAKING HIGH… I GOT QUITE BADLY BURNED, of course!