AUGUST 15

1939 Worked on ad all day – no go – Eleanor + I had started on a diet – But tonight we went on a picnic – T bone steaks – Georgia came over to talk “yearbooks” and talked “Glenn” instead I’m afraid she’s skirting a loss

1940 Mrs. Foster likes the drawings okay – Gee, I’d like to get started out there… Howard took me to a show tonight – We talked Francais afterward La vie est brave (I can’t stand the way he kisses me!)

1941 Fri Went out to Doris Iverson’s tonight… 12 of us… ate too much, again… Good seeing people. I was rather quiet

1942 SAT A NIGHT I DON’T WANT TO REMBER, BUT WILL NEVER FORGET; I CRIED UNTIL 4:00… I DIDN’T THINK DAD could BE SO STUPID and INSENSITIVE – HE WAS LIKE A CHARACTER out OF A SECOND RATE NOVEL… I WAS SO ASHAMED + HUMILIATED… I WOULDN’T HAVE MINDED IF HE HAD BLAMED me; BUT HE DIDN’T say  WORD TO ME… Leonard WAS PERFECT. I’LL NEVER forgive DAD if THIS HAS BROKEN US UP.

1943 SUN