AUGUST 16

1939 12:00 Lazy day – wrote about 3 words of my “ad” – (God, - I’ve got to finish that!) Went with Eleanor to Grace’s for a handkerchief shower for J.C.  We had onion soup this noon!

1940 I am just furious – I thought I had a date with Bill tonight… He did not call.. And I could have gone to the circus w/ Hunk – Wilmer got me up at 5:30 to watch it unload I cooked dinner tonight!

1941 Sat Eleanor + I smoothed up the house, started to play badminton with D.J., but we listed to records onaccounta rain. E + I were alone

1942 SUN [THANK God, I DIDN’T RELENT AND LET THAT soldier KISS ME]… I WAS NUMBED ALL DAY.. I COULDN’T SPEAK TO DAD. I’M SURE IT’S BEST if WE NEVER discuss IT… I WALKED OUT TO SCHOOL and STARTED TO WRITE A LETTER; MR. EIDE came OUT, SO WE TALKED… HE’S SWELL… VIRGINIA ASKED ME OVER TO HELP ENTERTAIN THE army.

1943 MON