AUGUST 29

1939 Tues. 11:30 Started on the clay model this aft. – Wasted most of the morning getting started + talking to people down in the “Huddle” – Carlson is working on me for an oration – he’s flattering me outrageously – He says he wants to be my manager when I take the boards!!!

1940 At long last – Leonard. I’ve waited so long for this… It’s almost worth going away for – I adore him. I doubt if anything serious will come of it – But we both meant every bit of what happened + I can’t let him down, I mustn’t + won’t!

1941 Well, chum, you’re a year older + should be a year wiser. I find I can still feel – finished For Whom the Bell Tolls. I am a woman

1942 SAT LEONARD took ME TO THE DANCE. WE WERE BOTH too TIRED TO GO, I guess. BILL WAS THERE WITH SOME Babe FROM MADISON. NUTS, SHIRLEE WILL NAIL ME ON IT, too. I WAS HALFWAY MAD AT LEONARD all EVENING…

1943 SUN