SEPTEMBER 13

1939 – gall + wormwood! – Ray had Holly at the dance last night + Leonard had Blossom! – What I need is a man! – I’m exhausted. – Big – Little S. too. We washed dishes to-night – Lime sherbet + gingerale + choc. cookies – I wore my blue B. shoes

1940 Friday 12:00 – Wrote 5 letters… hope I get some returns… Got a swell letter from Eleanor. She will probably be home Sun morning. Got to rationalizing – wanted to be there, but after I talked to Mother, my mind was changed… I’ll probably appreciate it more.

1941 Sat Oh Damn! – Every time I wear that formal I get a frustrated feeling afterward! – Formal Reception – Maybe its that I’m so tired I could spit.

1942 1:00 I WORE IT AGAIN today TO USHER AT PEGGYS RECITAL… SHES SO VERY WONDERFUL… SHE’LL SURELY MAKE THE GRADE! – WISH, IN A WAY, I WERE GOING with HER… WENT TO DINNER WITH BOB REIF… HE’S RILLY AN INTERESTING FELLA. WE SAW A BOB HOPE MOVIE AND HAD COKES IN THE KITCHEN…

1943 MON Oh God, like an amputation without anesthetic…I’m not all me when I’m not with Leonard. He called at 10:00. I cried. Mother said I mussn’t. We went down in the cab alone together. I tried to be good. He hated leaving, I know. I got my reservation. How can I leave?