SEPTEMBER 14

1939 I hope there won’t be many more days as unbearably hot as the last few. – Went to a tea to-day. – And saw “Pygmalion”.

1940 10:30 And I am only beginning to contemplate getting some work done! It’s always so hard to start… I had fun today cleaning up my room, washing my hair, clothes… I really enjoy Mrs. Reeves a lot. I really wonder what “Robert” is like –

1941 Sun Mother + I went to church – Clara + I went to Big-Little Sister tea – Listened to records that Mr. Lee played for us – saw Leonard. Went to Man Power with Marg + Sara + Eunice.

1942 MON SAW Sary – AT LAST… QUITE UNSATISFACTORY. KATHRINE G. WENT WITH US TO THE Pied Piper… (Leonard HAD spoiled IT FOR ME, BY TELLING ME THE ENDING) I WROTE SCRIPT today… I HOPE I GO TO Jack TEAGARDEN… MAYBE LIVING IN CHICAGO WOULD BE FUN FOR A WHILE…

1943 TUES JOHN TOOK ME TO THE TOWN CLUB TO PLAY BINGO… I ALMOST WON THE $75 BOND! – ATE DINNER AT D.J’S. – MARGE SCOTT CONGRATULATED ME… I SAID NOT QUITE. LEONARD HAD WRITTEN HER WHEN THEY WERE MARRIED. HE IS SWEETER. MORE THOUGHTFUL.