JANUARY 13

1939 11:30 - Friday Read plays all afternoon. Saw 3 1-act plays this evening - or rather I put on make-up helped set the stage + qu'ed for them
1940 Sat. - Sometimes I think its all just a lot of pretending - E made me begin to wonder... Not that he didn't mean his "Leiden" sincerely but that rather his understanding made my enjoyment seem shallow by comparison...
1941 (DUMMY... HE WENT TO THE SHOW W/ HIS DAD; I DON'T GET IT!) - RIGHT NOW, IT DOESN'T SEEM AWFLY IMPORTANT - BEEN THINKING AGAIN. I'VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING. I CAN'T BE HAPPY WITH THIS KIND OF AN EXISTENCE... I'M NOT FREE ENOUGH... DEAR GOD, I HOPE I'M NOT TEACHING NEXT YEAR... MRS. R WAS SO SWEET; I CRIED, REALLY FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE I'VE BEEN HERE.
1942 1:00 Gave doozie of test in techniques [Leonard got 97.5!] - Went to a movie with Mother tonight D.J., Bernice + I saw Blood + Sand.
1943 1:15 I WAS RIGHT - Mother DID COME HOME... WAS SITTING UP WRITING TO R. HW'D (a GOOD LETTER, I THINK) WHEN SHE CAME... SHE IS WONDERFUL; IT WAS A GOOD THING SHE WENT. D WAS VERY ILL. THEY TOOK HIM TO THE Hospital... LEONARD DIDN'T HAVE TO READ TONIGHT AFTER ALL MY MISSIONARY WORK, too -