JULY 17

1939  Monday And Duke Ellington with Leonard and I wasn’t expecting too much of the evening… It turned out super + + + - Thank goodness, I didn’t see Ray there – Leonard was certainly no slouch – I like him – He said, when he brought me to the door that he could not figure me out – I wasn’t like any other date he’d had out – Maybe I made a hit ? ? ?

1940 Wed W the rat didn’t call as he said he would tonight… I suppose he will care tomorrow when I not ready to go to the dance… I am just furious – Spence came over this afternoon and “nailed me down” for a date for Friday – He is so supremely conceited

1941 Well, darling *, I wish I could have about an hour alone with you tonight. I really need it. Morale was nil… Rained… Phooey I loathe the play I’m in next week. *Leonard.

1942 FRI WENT TO THE [DANCE with DAVID crossed out) … MOVIE Noontide WITH VIRGINIA, PEGGY, J.C. + “JUKE”. GOLLY, I’M GLAD I’M POOR IF THAT’S WHAT MONEY DOES FOR YOU… hmmm, I LAK – JEAN GABIN..

1943 SAT OH-H-H, WAS I SEEK WHEN I GOT OUT OF THE Barbizon POOL…! DIDN’T THINK I’D BE ABLE TO GET HOME; I RILLY didn’t. “Edith” AND I DID THE HOUSEWORK. WE GOT ALONG FINE… I WROTE HOME, THAT’S ALL READ Point Counterpoint FELT PRETTY BAD.