JULY 19

1939 Wed Nessa ragged me all day about my Mon. night experience in the backseat – I’m still having no serious pangs of conscience – tonight I went to Denis’s Concert – Ray’s suggestion (he was selling tickets) And who should sit beside me but Leonard – (I hope Ray saw him!)

1940 Well I hope I fixed Spence… We drove up to Luvesne – I was perfectly okay except I only said about 3 words all evening. – If he calls again, I swear I’m not going out with him… I saw a light in Bill’s window when we went by.

1941 ? Well, Jim certainly doesn’t waste any time… I suppose he figured he might as well play for the highest stakes… I was surprised – Just naïve, I guess. After the show we went down to White House. Sat on the beach – breezy – dark – swell.

1942 SUN WE WERE OVER TO DINNER AT Bryant's this AFTERNOON. D.J. and I SUN-BATHED, LATER. THEN WENT OUT TO THE COTTAGE AFTER A COKE. JOHN + WILBER TOOK THE HARDERS’ TESTS over THERE – THEY CAME HOME w/ ME. DAVE WAS OVER AT 11:00 (I’D JUST GOTTEN UP – TO SEE IF I HADN’T RELENTED!)

1943 MON LEONARD WRITES THAT HE’S BEEN ACCEPTED FOR A S.TP. – WON’T GO – BECAUSE OF EMINENCE OF SHIPPING + CONSEQUENT FREEZING of PERSONNEL… IT ISN’T RIGHT… DAMN… I FEEL BEATEN… ELEANOR AND I WENT TO “MORE THE MERRIER”… I COULDN’T CONCENTRATE…