JULY 26

1939 Half a year gone - + so much has happened! – Karl + Dorothy are here – They want to know when I’m coming to Chicago

1940 Fri Hell – Eleanor phoned from Chicago tonight she can’t come home for her vacation this week, after all – I feel worse about her being disappointed than at our being disappointed

+ And a lot more happened this year! I hope it won’t be too long  -

1941 1:00 Well kid, the wheels are turning. This morning I got a letter from Ren saying Dayton’s + Auggie had welcome on their doormats + this aft, a letter from Boston Store saying Mlle wired them I got a tie for 1st! – Mike got home safely tonight. I’m happy, if a little confused

1942 SUN WE ALL WENT TO CHURCH TODAY… (I DIDN’T WEAR STOCKINGS, EITHER!) – WE HAD WILMER + OLGA OVER FOR DINNER… WE SHOULD HAVE HAD SOME SOLDIERS, too. I GOT SOME SHERBET. WENT OVER TO Shirlee’s AND SOLDIERS… Damn MISTER PAYNE DIDN’T EVEN call.

1943 MON I HIT THE JACKPOT- LETTERS FROM LEONARD (WHO PRACTICALLY GOT HIMSELF COURT MARSHALED) FROM ELEANOR, CLARA, LARRY + HERMAN (WHO SOLD AN ARTICLE TO Esquire) – I ANSWERED MR. EIDE and WE TODAY; Herman + LARRY, too. MY LEGS ARE A mess.