JULY 27

1939 10:30 Thurs I pulled a wood tick out of Rex’s eyelid. – He’s a very sweet dog. Went to a tea for Jean Perry – Saw Marsha V. B – Honestly more people are either married or engaged!!

1940 9:30 Sat And me without a date – (I actually would have turned Bill down – if he had called) I hope Hunk didn’t misunderstand me the other night – I want to go to the dance Monday! – I utterly loathed myself all day today – Diddled around all day with housework – Ate alla time.

1941 Sun Well I guess it really happened – I just re-read the letter (for the 20th time) I’m sure I’ll have to go to New York now – maybe with Mina… We rehearsed + rehearsed for Too Many Girls (I feel fat – damn it!)

1942 MON LEONARD’S NAME WAS IN THE paper TO GO TOMORROW.. BUT CASE TOOK 5 of THE FELLAS UP TO VERMILION AND THEY WERE SWORN INTO THE ARMY ENLISTED RESERVE – Thank HEAVEN. THE DOPE DIDN’T LET ME KNOW UNTIL 10:30… BOB WAS HERE WHEN HE CAME… HE WAS ACTING UTTERLY IRRATIONALLY… I TRIED TO STAY ANNOYED; COULDN’T –

1943 TUES Heard Johnny Mercer… wrote Leonard. Hated Mrs. Stote today. LEONARD WRITES MORE RATIONALLY. HE IS CALMER NOW. THANK HEAVEN. HE HAS LEARNED MUCH. I FEEL AWFUL. SKETCHED PEARL + LOIS + SULLY + ME.