JULY 4

1939 10:30 Some 4th! – for excitement, I went swimming with Ed + Eleanor ( I did get to talk with Hunk – And washed my hair + finished the Fountain*) * made me realize the beauty of contemplative thought + alone-ness. But also that youth should not stunt itself with asceticism

1940 I sewed + sewed… a red checked tablecloth skirt, white blouse… (I wonder if I have the nerve to wear it to the dance Sat?) – Went to a lousy show with Bill. Who brought me home early! I had a sore throat!

1941 Honest a real talent scout we had with us today – the fencers arrived tonight, too… Plastered on make up in class again (ruining my face) ironed clothes – talked to Hunk about art … Oh well, he has a cold, too.

1942 3! SHIRLEY + BILL + LEONARD + I went to THE DAWNCE… EXQUISITE… I’VE GOT TO “TAKE IT EASIER” – or LEONARD has OR SOMETHING – HE JUST ABOUT BROKE MY BACK TONIGHT… HE WAS NOT VERY conversational… BUT WE HAD A PERFECT TIME… Shirley’s STAYING with ME TONIGHT.

1943 SUN In which I did little. But I did call home! – And glad I did. Mother was terribly surprised – talked to Dad, but Eleanor wasn’t home. Slept this afternoon. We had dinner rather late. Sent Leonard a night letter + wrote