JULY 6

1939 This morning Pal awakened me for the last time… He was hit by a car about 7:00 – It was better that he should not have to go through recuperating from a broken paw – he was so old… a part of my life for 15 years – I’m getting pretty bored w/ merely books for company.

1940 2:00 Did some catching up with a phase of my career that I missed when I was young Gee, I had fun… I seem to have made an impression on Hunk… He wants to take me to Lawrence Welk the 8th – L?) And  - I had fun dancing with Don Forney – attractive brat.

1941 SUN BEACH… BURNED.. BATH; DINNER… REHEARSAL… TALKED WITH DON BUCK… SAID G’B TO MR. WALDRON… MIKE + I WENT WALKING… SANG… CHILLY

1942 11:15 MON LAST WEEK of TEACHING Summer school – (NOW I’LL HAVE TO START THINKING about WHAT I’M GOING TO DO… ) PLAYED 2 SETS of TENNIS w/ WILBER. (HE BEAT ME, of COURSE!) – SHIRLEY HANSON had A PICNIC… NATURALLY, Leonard WOULD WANT TO TAKE ME TO DINNER TONIGHT.

1943 TUES Mrs. Stote, pink + grey, had her purse snatched… I didn’t do much today. No short stories, thank goodness… We couldn’t find Sully’s bag! I was dead + expired on the davenport