JULY 5

1939 11:30 I heard Tchaikovsky’s 6th symphony tonight – Virginia took me for a ride.. It is so hot inside It is an awful feeling to think you are wasting yourself

1940 10 – (Just in hopes I’ll get up early!) Saw Leonard today – Poor kid. He’s so thin – I met his mother… He tries so hard to act about 30 (at least) Blossom’s Grandmother is conveniently located across the hall – Phooey

1941 – SAT – STILL NO LETTER FROM LEONARD, THE LOUSE, WAS “UP” + “DOWN” TODAY – A LITTLE FENCING, FUN W/ MIKE, PARTY WAS DEPRESSING “TOO MANY GIRLS” – FENCING BY SANTELLY! – PLAYWRIGHT – FOO.

1942 10:45 SHIRLEY + I SLEPT till 10:00. DID DISHES, GOT CLEANED UP + HAD DINNER w/ BILL + OLGA…LAY OUT IN BACK YARD FOR A COUPLE hrs. got FAINTLY PINK… VIRGINIA’S Chris IS COMING FOR A DAY or TWO… ANXIOUS TO MEET him… D.J. + IVER + I RODE AROUND – ATE POPCORN – Palaced.

1943 MON Well, I certainly did little but sleep today. Rather disgusted with myself. I rationalize it’s still just lack of blood! – Read more Thomas Wolfe.