JANUARY 4

1939 11:00 I quit - after one more whole day at a drawing board - I hope I never see another one - (But I will) I've even got black O's under my eyes
1940 12:50 Didn't get up till late; struggled out to school - worked till 9:00 - Bob + I went over to Eides for the Evening Its so darn cold out - 15 below!
1941 Sat Oh to be young + ambitious - as then - I can't get started. Now, its too late - 
1942 1:30 That damn book monopolized another day (I otta see Mr. F!) It is kind of a challenge. Or is that an excuse? I know I'm reading it too fast. Greedy of me, really. Hemingway. Steinbeck. Romaine.
1943 1:00 OH GAWD! - "HUNK" IS HOME ON furlough. WE WENT TO Yankee Doodle... Leonard, OF COURSE, CALLED; HE NEVER SEEMS TO GET mad, THOUGH. I IRONED + FIXED MY green CORDUROY... HAD TO BE TAKEN IN AT THE SEAMS... LIKE TO GET "MORE THINNER" BEFORE I GO. Snook CALLED AGAIN. THEY STILL WANT ME FOR Watch on the Rhine -