JANUARY 6

1939 10:55 - V, M, + I planned "futures" + ate hot dogs + rode around until nearly six after school. It seems we would all be happy if we could have enough money to start "careering" - I broke into print today. My picture is in "Mademoiselle"
1940 Saturday - 1:30 - Well I really got something done! I scrubbed the kitchen floor today... Sometimes I think I should concentrate on something simple like that
1941 (BRICK quit school) (so do I Marion. Even the moronic simplicity of school teaching is a little complicated for a brain like yours) - Well, Thank God Monday's over! - Freddie picked me up at the Pantry. I think I'll play uppy + act a little cool - (even if I do have to strain myself) - I did tonight - a little
1942 It was so darn cold out at school - hard to feel energetic about things. Good to get back, though. Read Bertrand Russell's "A Free Man's Worship." Good. Heard fr. Don Gregory - on his way East - God
1943 11:00 I WAS IN A haze ALL DAY! - WENT OUT TO SCHOOL - WROTE AN ANSWER TO THE "TIMES" ad. Leonard + I WERE FAINTLY EMBARRASSED AT BEHOLDING ONE ANOTHER... HAD A CARD FROM Peggy. WANTS ME FOR A ROOMMATE... MARGARET HAS A BABY - A boy! - I WENT TO Creative Wr... LEONARD SAW US TO THE BUS... MIGOSH I'M CRAZY about HIM.