APRIL 2

1939 11:00 tsk tsk - smoking in bed! But it is fun. Eleanor + Ed are downstairs. It seems funny to have us both dating. Ray + I went to the show this aft. what a swell fellow he is! - I guess I'm getting pretty sloppy - I even like to hold hands in the movies! Saw Nessa
1940 Tuesday - I couldn't do a thing today... I don't know if it was appalling amt of work or the fact that my cold was bothering badly, at any rate, I quit + came home... Took a bath went to bed... I asked Howard for Wed. night... Wyman for Saturday + he was floored... so was I when he said he was going to be in Lennox.
1941 11:15 FEEL - AS KITTY FOYLE SO APTLY PUTS IT - A TRIFLE BITCHY... [REMIND ME NOT TO ADOPT THAT PHRASE] - BUT I DID WRITE SOME LETTERS... SUFFERED FROM A RELAPSE ALL DAY... MY ELBOW HURTS LIKE HELL EVERY TIME IT TOUCHES ANYTHING. I CAN SPEND $45 next wk.
1942 Finished BUDDENBROOKS - depressingly vivid Real - Gee, that Mann can write! I was mad at Leonard... Bob Haakinson came over + we had a perfectly swell walk all over - eating popcorn - went over to D.J's Moon
1943 FRI MRS. DAHL + MRS. STOTE ACTUALLY raised THEIR VOICES AT ONE ANOTHER THIS MORNING. I WAS ACUTELY UNCOMFORTABLE. HAD LUNCH WITH 2 VERY IMPORTANT, VERY dull MEN - MRS. S INSISTED I GO + I Really DIDN'T WANT TO! WE WORKED UNTIL LATE... I MET Herman AT 6:30, WE HAD DINNER AND WENT TO THE EXQUISITE PETROUSHKA, PAS EN QUATRE, ETC. Ballet Russe