APRIL 23

1939 10:50 - Sunday evenings are always lonesome. I sat out on the steps and listened to a frog. Ray and I went shooting this afternoon. It was a perfect - almost summer - day... He was going to call me tonight... I went on a picnic with the girls
1940 4:00 - Well I got something done. 3 "sketches". I've been writing since one - I hope they are worth reading. Bill called tonight...
1941 Another burner, only worse. I feared for my sanity, even. But now I'm okay. Funny what a warm bath + a meal will do for your morale.
1942 Thurs 10:00! - I'm in bed + damn glad of it. Feel woozy + sneezy - hope I'm not getting Leonard's cold... Didn't see him all day - It was still windy + warm. Lee is ill. No banquet date!
1943 1:20 HERMAN TOOK ME TO DINNER; WE SAW THE PRESS Photographer EXHIBIT AT R.C.A. building... WENT TO THE HUMAN COMEDY - SO VERY VERY FINE. I CRIED, OF COURSE. MRS. STOTE BOUGHT ME A PR of WHITE GLOVES - MOTHER SENT A CARD + HANKY. I'M SO GLAD I SENT THE candy HOME.