JULY 12

1939 10:10 Worked 6 hrs today, walked 3 times (6 miles) + went swimming We go almost every noon – tonight, Mother + I have been talking about fixing over Wilmer’s old room for me- I hope I can do it

1940 Friday 10:30 – I was seriously unhappy this afternoon – mostly because I was tired, I guess. Bill + I went out to his folks house (to feed the dog!) – He wants an “all day” date for Sunday. I agreed, but I don’t know.

1941 2:15 Thank God that show’s over. – insects are buzzing in my ear. – a skunk lurks around our door-sill – we had a wild time getting home – I feel in character for my next part!

1942 SUN “MET” DAVID… (THAT WAS RILLY A SMOOTH PICK-UP, IF EVER I SAW ONE) – SHIRLEY, PEG + I WENT SWIMMING – MAYBE IT WAS MY RED SUIT. WE HAD SUPPER OVER AT PEG’S, THE CAME OVER + SAT IN OUR BACK YARD; JOHN K + J. de R. CAME OVER + STAYED and TALKED TO ME…

1943 MON Leonard wrote a dark, resentful letter, I hate his having to feel that way. Oh God, please let him have a chance… Had to come home this noon I felt so bad. Better, as the day wore on. We had steak.