JULY 15

1939 10:30 I just ate a piece of the best pink, cold watermelon… Boy, am I cradle-robber!  Going to Duke Ellington with Leonard Payne – tomorrow is his 18th birthday! (I thought Ray might call tonight)

1940 10:30 And a year later I write him a letter (happy birthday, L.) Little did I think he would come to mean as much to me, then… Maybe a year from now I will have forgotten him entirely, but I v. much doubt it. He is the type of person that sticks in your memory

1941 Yes, you were right, for once, dopey. Leonard is still very much with us. Wonder what another year will

1942 WED BASIN STREET MADE ME lonesome FOR Leonard… WANTED TO SEND HIM A TELEGRAM; DIDN’T KNOW WHERE TO FIND HIM. HE GOT HIS FIRST NOTICE of INDUCTION TODAY – fine THING!… BUT HE’S STILL ELIGIBLE for ARMY RESERVE, case SAYS. GEE, I HOPE he COMES OUT OK.

1943 THURS I WAS DEFINITELY UNCONSCIOUS. BUT IT WAS WORTH IT. I BOUGHT A $20 RED GABARDINE SUIT FOR $8! – THINK I DID WELL. SOME ROPE SANDALS. [THE NICE MAN TOLD ME I HAD A PRETTY FIGURE. IMAGINE]. ELEANOR + I ATE AT THE STEW BAR. STAGGERED HOME.