JULY 14

1939 12:30 Eide’s had a party tonight it was a lot of fun – just college kids – we played croquet! – I wore my plaid skirt + white blouse and a black velvet ribbon in my hair.

1940 9:30 My day wasn’t as ruined as it threatened to be last night – rowing upsets me terribly – I had to go outside; prowl around, have a cigarette + be alone about 2:30… This morning told Bill we’d better exclude the activities to the afternoon. – We had a lot of fun biking and drank beer + went swimming… I think I know how to take him

1941 12:45 brr – It is chilly! – Finished dress rehearsal – wrote to Clara + Leonard. Lines R. on the beach this afternoon. Met the new leading man

1942 TUES SWIMMING EMIL WAS HERE, ON FURLOUGH. WE ALL HAD LUNCH TOGETHER DOWN AT THE Chocolate SHOP… [ME + 7 MEN!] HE HAS MADE THE TRANSITION BEAUTIFULLY… I’M PROUD of HIM.

1943 WED I HAD NO IDEA THE EVENING WOULD BE SO INTERESTING [OR LAST SO LONG] “BILL” (DON’T KNOW HIS LAST NAME) AN EX- SWOON SINGER IN THE MERCHANT MARINE! WE HAD DINNER ON THE TERRACE, TALKED MUSIC, BILL SANG, COCKTAILS, CENTRAL PARK