JULY 13

1939 10:30 Painted all day – went swimming – B. Severson wants me to design a trade mark for her radio program – I would like a date.

1940 2:45 Sat For 8 years I’ve waited for this – to be able to go out + have a little fun – to date – to be attractive – to have fellow like me, to be happy – and Dad + Mother can’t see it – have to spoil it all by treating me like an adolescent. Because I came in at 1:30!

1941 MON WENT OUT WITH HIM…MIGOSH, I DIDN’T DREAM HE’D ACTUALLY LOOK ME OOP! – HE CAME OVER + I DRAGGED HIM IN TO TALK TO MOTHER – JUST TO MAKE IT LEGAL! – WE DANCED for HALF HR. or SO OUT TO THE DYNAMITE AND CAME HOME. HE’S VERY INTELLIGENT.

1943 TUES And we were going to eat out + early + accomplish much: ate at Schrafts and it took ages. Pearl didn’t [get] our message + felt neglected! oh hell.