DECEMBER 25

1939 We had to get up to finish wrapping packages this morning - I certainly feel like a mess - Eleanor left on the 5:30 train... It was hard to take... And I was going to be so casual + smart! I hope it isn't too long before we see her again.
1940 REALLY SWELL WITH ELEANOR HERE... REALLY MADE CHRISTMAS FOR US... WOULD HAVE BEEN GRIM WITHOUT HER. SHE IS SO WONDERFUL WITH WILMER - I STILL FEEL SORT OF EXTRA WITH THE TWO WHEN THEY'RE TOGETHER... I GUESS I'LL NEVER GET OVER IT... WAS QUITE FLOORED WHEN W. KISSED ME PURELY SPONTANEOUSLY. ATE TILL I'M PRACTICALLY NAUSEATED - B. CALLED
1941 (Under the mistletoe - I blushed!) - The mystery was a toy dog from Hunk - Lovely Christmas, Eleanor + I felt awful for a while as a conseq. of not sleeping. Leonard wanted to ask me to the dance! 
1942 12:45 It was a  fine Christmas - (except it did hurt that Leonard didn't give me anything)... We had our gifts about 10:45 - and dinner about 3:00... We had Tom + Jerrys over at Virginia's - John K, Bob, Leonard + I. She is swell. I stayed later. I hope Leonard was annoyed.
1943