DECEMBER 30

1939 I am numb. - I ate over there twice - They were perfectly swell to me. - I hope I get to "do" the real job this summer - My mind whirls with Stars - Petty Gals + hell (They asked me to the party)
1940 No - even Bill called (as last night) to give me an excuse to put off reading those damned autobiographies. So I got started! All ready the time is dwindling pitifully away - Hope the rest of the school year tears by like hell - Dear God, I hope I'm not teaching next yr. but that I am earning some money-
1941 12- Rather desultory day (just because you didn't' see Leonard?) - Didn't get up till 11:00 - tsk - went out to school. Jo didn't show up - No story written! - Went over to D.J.'s - ate too much.
1942 12- I FEEL BETTER, muchly... TALKED WITH MOTHER ABOUT MY GOING; SHE'LL BACK ME UP IF EVEN I WANT TO GO TO NEW YORK... WE HAD BEEN OVER TO HANSONS, AND WHEN WE CAME HOME, discussed IT IN WHISPERED TONES... I TOOK MOTHER + Dad TO THE Palm Beach Story THIS AFTERNOON. MOTHER + Leonard ARE THE TWO I REALLY HATE TO LEAVE *
1943