AUGUST 1

1939 Another day + nothing accomplished – Sam’s birthday – picnic at her house (it rained) I ate too much – I found out Ray took Daisy to the dance – No more am I caring!

1940 10:30 Sometimes I loathe myself so that I can barely stand it. – I have wasted this summer so far – and how, I cannot figure out – I hoped Bill would call – He did not – probably just as well as I did a coupla borders – (Marg + I met Sara for lunch – gave her a spoon)

1941 Fri Milli’s English friend is here so I sacrificed my bed (with secret loathing!) – Mr. Cisney dared us to go in swimming with our clothes on. Spike did. I didn’t, but after dinner –

1942 SAT WE WENT TO THE DANCE WITH Shirley + Bill I HAD MY HAIR UP – FOR WHICH Leonard TOOK ME TO TASK – “TOO DAMN SUPERIOR” – BAND WAS awful… FLOOR W. crowded. LEONARD WAS TIRED… BUT I ENJOYED MYSELF IN A RATHER INEPT WAY… HE TOLD ME ABOUT MISS Bernie… HE WAS BAFFLED TO KNOW HOW I KNEW – ha – MET D.J. for LUNCH.

1943 SUN