JULY 31

1939 Mon 9:45 My ambition reached its height this morning. Its depth this eve. I washed hair + clothes in back yd + ironed. K + D met Mr. Eide – Tonight it was another “Blue Evening”

1940 9:45 Heard Flagsted’s Lebistod – the aching beauty of the prelude + the morning desire of the accompaniment to Love’s Death – I felt silly – tired all day – washed my face + wrote to Eleanor – Such accomplishments – Oh God –

1941 Went to Boston this morning – very impressive experience (15 of us in Station Wagon!) – Saw Cambridge, Freedom Hall – Shaw was fun tonight. Latest news from Eleanor is her vac. Is next week – I hope that’s official –

1942 FRI I WAS CLEANING MY RED SHOES, WHEN THE PHONE Rang… “SURE, I’D LOVE TO”… GEE, I SHOULDN’T BE SO READILY ACQUIESCENT. LEONARD WAS CERTAINLY BEAUTIFUL… BEIGE + BROWN… I INHIBITED HIM – FOR A WHILE… WE MET John K. + LEE + THE LARSONS AT SOOKS. I HAD 3 GLASSES of BEER + SAW DAVID!

1943 SAT RATHER NGHA. PEARL + I PLANNED TO GO TO A MATINEE. SHE GOT STARTED ON AN ALL DAY PARTY; I TRIED TO SLEEP THIS AFT; AND COULDN’T. ELEANOR + I WENT TO Mr. Lucky AT RADIO CITY – A VULGAR PLACE. DON COSSACKS WERE RUINED BY ORCHESTRA. WE ATE hamburgers at H. Heaven by ST. PAT’S, WALKED HOME.