DECEMBER 8

1939 1:55 It was fun, but my, its late - And I was going to get home early! - After Bob + I went to the basket-ball game, we went up to Lee's studio + played modern music - Lee made tea + I did the dishes - 
1940 I am crushed, absolutely. (It's smart to be flippant isn't it?) - Hell, Frederick did not call. And after all he said last night about how much he liked me. - more every time we went out - How much he missed me - Phooey! - He muttered something strange just before he kissed me good night for about the 8th time. But I can't quite remember what it was!
1941 10:30 Have I got a cold! - Ground colors in technique class - listened to War News. (West Coast vulnerable) 3000 killed + injured in yesterday's air raids!
1942 2:15 - I'M GLAD I WASN'T BITTER OR REPROACHFUL, HOW COULD I BE WHEN HE WAS SO TRULY PENITENT? ... I HAD TO TURN HIM DOWN FOR WED, THURS, + FRIDAY! (I HOPE HE FELT ME NOD MY HEAD FOR SAT.) HE SAID IT KILLED HIM TO SEE THE CORNERS OF MY MOUTH TURN DOWN... HE SAID HE HAD NO EXCUSES - JUST THAT SOMETIMES HE had TO BE ALONE... HE HAD CALLED FRIDAY... HIS INTEREST HASN'T LAGGED, I DON'T think
1943