JUNE 1

1939 12:30 Thursday did Garbo + Marxes to-day. – people kept popping in; but it was quiet-er than usual – I think Mr. Spitznagel is swell.

1940 1:00 This morning I felt the same agonizing anticipation that a five year old feels about Christmas… The Books are terribly close to the way I “dreamed” them. It is one of the Biggest things that’s ever happened to me. We had our dinner at C. Shop… Spence + I saw W. Bridge. I’ll never forget Leonard.

1941 12:30 AND HERE WE ALL ARE IN CHICAGO… HAVEN’T SEEN ELEANOR – YET – STARTED ABOUT 6:00 THIS MORNING – GOT IN ABOUT 10:00 – I DROWSED AND THOUGHT ABOUT LEONARD – GEE, HE’S GOING TO COMPLICATE MY LIFE, I’M AFRAID – BUT WHO WANTS MERELY SERENITY? –

1942 Mon Registered 5 Art stoonts… Rilly don’t want to teach Summer School very long… Then What? ? ? – Bill + Leonard, Peggy came over – Then John + Bob!… We got D.J. – Some fun.

1943 Tues – Gee, I’m a wreck. Felt awful most of the day… typed like crazy on those fool radio scripts for Mrs. S. Feel very monosyllabic. Didn’t get to Donna’s Graduation, I hate subways.