JUNE 6

1939 Tuesday – We didn’t get up to go to the alumnae breakfast – But went to graduation at 10:30 – barely made it… It was so very hot… I dread next year… in a way… Marg + I celebrated and had lunch down town… Started to place “stars” on walk – Mr. Eide + I had ice cream tonight after not working.

1940 10:30 Managed to work up a little ambition – cleaned the house this afternoon – washed a slug of clothes… D.J. + some gals just came after me + we went out by Neptune. Gee, I hope I get to go out there pretty soon… Germany seems to be winning the war… I have 3 jobs tomorrow!

1941 Fri Wow what a night – rain – mud – cold – tourist cabin – babies - .

1942 Sat Oh God… I’m fed up with me… No Guts… no independence… Can’t bear the whole evening alone with myself. – Thomas Mann C’est Fin.

1943 SUN (DAMN – HURT MY BACK again…) HAD DINNER WITH SPITZNAGEL’S AT Longchamp’s! FUN. THEY WERE GOING TO ZIEGFIELD FOLLIES; I TOOK Herman TO FRED ALLEN’S BROADCAST, WHICH WAS VERY FUNNY. HAVEN’T WRITTEN TO Leonard YET, BUT TO Mother… GOT BURNED