AUGUST 9

1939 11:00 I earned a few shikkels today (about $3.00) helping Bernice – I think I will have little “jobs” all winter if her show goes – I’ve been letting up so much recently its nearer 10 than 5 pounds I’ve got to lose, now

1940 12:15 Very Nil today. Sketched this afternoon… Quite encouraging. Absolutely nauseated with myself about dinner time Went out to sch. Virginia came out

1941 Sat At long last – traipsed down on the L. by myself – Met Eleanor – lunch at the “Circle” – very fun – Got the Hiawatha (it was full of sailors) and here we are. I’m much too excited to sleep

1942 SUN 11:45 A.M. OUT IN THE BACK YARD – GOING TO try ON A PICNIC TONIGHT.. I hope IT DOESN’T RAIN…

1:30 * … “I LIKE YOU VERY MUCH… I SUPPOSE I LOVE YOU YOU’VE KNOWN THAT, HAVEN’T YOU? – YOU MUST HAVE FELT IT”… GEE, I NEVER EXPECTED him TO SAY IT… HE WAS SO TERRIBLY SWEET ABOUT IT… WE WERE ON 2nd ISLAND – IT WAS A MAGIC NIGHT… AWAY FROM Everything
1943