AUGUST 5

1939 11:30 Wouldn’t you know? Just because Eleanor + I go to a movie a man calls me! – oh well, we had a swell time – saw Mickey Rooney – and came home + ate our heads off (after we (the whole family it was Dad’s birthday) had a chicken dinner down town). I AM THROUGH WITH MY JOB – HURRAY!

1940 Got a letter from Mlle – want a picture in the suit for Oct issue I hope I get in – Bette Edwards, Bette H., D.J. + I crashed Emil’s, Bob’s, Al’s + Leonard’s dinner tonight – Got something to eat, Did the dishes!

1941 Tues DOING SOME THINKING – DANGEROUS. – ADMITTED, FINALLY, NOTHING MUCH THRILLS ME ANYMORE! – OR DOES IT – MAYBE I’VE JUST GROWN UP – SAW MLLE – S DIDN’T CALL – PARTED WITH $3 to A CHARMING FELLA FOR MAGS. – W/ WHOM I MISSED A DATE – HE CALLED AT 6:30 + I WAS OUT COCKTAILING WITH L.Z.A. – SAW W on the Rhine – Lucilla’s husband was up to see me tonight! – I refused!

1942 WED WELL, I COULD WORK AT THE Argus, I GUESS – BUT I’M WAITING TO HEAR FROM MR. WITMER – [WHOM I WROTE today]… MET JEAN Gibson FOR LUNCH. BOB AND I HAD COKES WITH PEGGY BLATHERWICK… BILL + TRESS and I ATE AT THE PALACE… (hm – I GUESS I MUST HAVE STAYED HOME tonight!)

1943 THURS