SEPTEMBER 7

1939 Thurs Well, Kenny G. is going to business manage the year book. I think he’ll be swell. – I’m really relieved. –

1940 11:00 Well, not much different than any other Saturday at home – Washed my hair, clothes, cleaned up the house. Feel awful about Mother not being able to get around better… V. told me she saw L. out with someone. I saw him this aft.

1941 11:00 I have red polish on my toenails + I’m going to start registering freshmen tomorrow. I must be dignified! Mother + I went to church this morning. D.J. went for a ride + had some crazy h.s. kids following us

1942 MON FOOLED AGAIN, DAMMIT. MISTER Payne DIDN’T SAY BOO ABOUT FRANKIE MASTERS AT NEPTUNE… WE-ALL WENT TO the PARADE THIS MORNING… WROTE A FEW LETTERS. D.J. + SHIRLEE AND I WENT FOR A RIDE… ATE POPCORN, WHISTLED AT SOLDIERS… AND WERE FOLLOWED!

1943 TUES I fed my love with tomato + bacon sandwiches + apple pie… We are desperately in love… withall… Played nursemaid to Jeannie + Kay. Asked L. for dinner. I was glad (the orchestra plays Shostakovich + now I can’t remember) – Just beauty – longing – happiness + sadness