SEPTEMBER 9

1939 SAT Went out to school – supposedly to work. – ha. – Bob + L both admired my slacks! – Showed Eide the sketchy dummy. –

1940 Mon 11:00 Launched on 2nd week of teaching career – (ugh) But really not so bad. By 7th period today I thought I even might be sort of a good teacher! – I almost got interested in what I was saying… - London is being racked with Bombers. It is hard to believe that those calm British people are living every day in terror of losing their lives.

1941 Tues Saw Mr. Eide for a moment this morning. I respect him infinitely… Still more registration –

1942 WED GOT UP here ABOUT 5:30 (TRIP WASN’T too BAD!)… TOOK HEART AND DECIDED TO GO DOWN TO DINNER and SEE THE STYLE SHOW… DRESSED UP AND PRETENDED I WAS SOMEONE… ha … IT was FUN… GEE, tomorrow?

1943 THURS We lay out in the backyard in the sunshine, and talked. I adore Leonard. There can never be anyone else for me. We went over + looked after Jeannie + Kay for a while. Inga + Stephen came over in their dungarees. We went, for a while, to the dance. To Sherman Hill I think.