FEBRUARY 22

1939 9:45 I'm a little scared, I guess... tomorrow I "try-out" selling hats... first "real" job... I was restless + tired all day... that must have been quite a spill I took... I still feel sort of shaken
1940 4:45 It was rather inevitable, I suppose... In a way, I wish it hadn't happened + " " I'm glad it has... And I though Howard was so unemotional. It does complicate things.
1941 11:45 the happy (?) celibate I... (How do you pronounce that?) Made out test at least. Mrs. Reeves baked buns + cookies... We had "tea" about 4:00 - I typed at school, heard Wagner - wept a little weep. Leonard - Hell.
1942 Sun 12:45 - Donna + I saw the Man Who Came to Dinner even that couldn't take my mind off last night... I wonder if he thought about me...
1943 MON PEGGY + I HAD breakfast IN BED THIS MORNING; QUEL LUXURY!... ELEANOR writes I CAN HAVE A BUYER- DECORATOR job AT Donahue's... Gee, IF THAT HAD ONLY BROKEN BEFORE! I'M UP ON THE ROOF BASKING IN THE SUNLIGHT, HAVING washed MY CLOTHES + AM GOING TO GET CAUGHT UP IN GENERAL... LATER: ALL I DID WAS WRITE Leonard (I HOPE I DIDN'T SAY TOO MUCH) THIS AFT... PEGGY CAME HOME ABOUT 5:00... WE ATE + I IRONED and WROTE LETTERS TONIGHT... PEG CUTTING HER calories