FEBRUARY 3

1939 9:50 Right now my one aim in life seems to [be to] wear out this cold - (I thought I never had colds!) - This afternoon I revised + re-typed my story for Krause - (I don't think I'd be a successful writer of short stories) Heard Orson Welles in l'Anniversaire this morning! I really enjoy it... But I was so tired that about all I did this aft. was just barely get started on some posters for Eleanor - went to a game tonight. - Spence asked me to go to a C---
1941 2:30 WELL, MONDAY'S OVER... I WAS IN A STUPOR ALL DAY... GOING TO REFORM. STAY IN NIGHTS... SLEPT FOR ABOUT 2 HRS AFTER DINNER TONIGHT. GOING TO GO BACK TO BED + FINISH THE JOB NOW! 
1942 11:00 Gee that was an awful lecture in History this morning. Babe, we're going to have to do a lot better than that. (If Wilber's going to keep coming) Stayed home tonight! Eleanor + I bought her wedding dress this aft. ordered cake + stuff
1943 WED. I CAME OUT BETTER THAN I EXPECTED - HELD MY "FIRE" UNTIL AFTER TRAIN PULLED OUT Leonard WAS SO TERRIBLY sweet - BROUGHT ME YELLOW JONQUILS, EVERYONE WAS DOWN AT THE STATION... EIDES, ETTA, JOHN, BILL, BOB, SHIRLEY, CORRINE, JOHN, MOTHER and ELEANOR AND LEONARD - BOB. H. GOT THERE IN TIME TO KISS ME GOODBYE - BUT good. LEONARD GRABBED ME AGAIN... I WAS GLAD. AND DIDN'T CARE WHO SAW... MR. SPITZNAGEL GOT ON AT CANTON. I COULD HAVE CRIED ALL THE WAY INTO CHICAGO... IT WAS AN ACTUAL AMPUTATION...