FEBRUARY 9

1939 9:50 I lay in bed from 7 till 7:30 this morning deciding if I should go to my 8 o'clock class. I went. At 8:30 Hugo greeted me very pointedly. I ate lunch with Jean + Phil over at the Red Hen. (I seem to have an awful appetite these days. I'll never lose any weight at this rate) I think last night was good for Eleanor - She told me all about it while she took her bath. I guess she can take care of herself.
1940 1:30 ha! I'm going tomorrow night! I'm really glad  -I'll leer inwardly at M.E.! - Struggled with U. P de P - ugh - Spence, Carp + I worked till so late on the F. Ball programs for tomorrow - we walked home - fun. 
1941 3:45 Here we go again... But I think F. had the guts to break this off. His wish is honest, and I respect him in spite of everything which happened tonight... Can I live through tomorrow?
1942 11:30 The rest of the world went on Daylight Savings - but me. I overslept. And if I don't get to sleep I'll do the same tom. Wrote a long letter to Blanche - Eleanor + Philip were over  - Happy. I'm thinking about Leonard too often -
1943 10:00 PETE CAME IN TONIGHT, SO PEGGY'LL BE LATE. FOUND A LOT OF KEEN ADS IN Sunday TIMES - I SHALL ANSWER THEM! VENTURED DOWNTOWN BY MYSELF FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY... GOT AROUND OKAY... WALKED UP 5TH AVE + DOWN PARK... STOPPED AT ST. PATRICKS - IT WAS WONDERFUL. 
SAW A FREE FRENCH OFFICER.